Most Wired Overview
The mission of the CHIME “Healthcare’s Most Wired” program is to elevate the health and care of communities around the world by encouraging the optimal use of information technology. The program does this by conducting an annual survey to identify, recognize, and certify the adoption, implementation, and use of information technology by healthcare provider organizations. The results are intended to improve patient safety and outcomes by driving change in the healthcare IT industry.
Certification Level Definitions
Levels 9–10: In addition to meeting the criteria for levels 1–8, organizations in level 9 or 10 are often leaders in healthcare technology who actively push the industry forward. Not only have many of them implemented advanced technologies, but they often leverage these technologies in innovative ways and have encouraged deep adoption across their entire organization. As a result, they are realizing meaningful outcomes, including improved quality of care, improved patient experience, reduced costs, and broader patient access to healthcare services. Some of the advanced technologies used to achieve these outcomes include telehealth solutions, price-transparency and cost-analysis tools, access to data at the point of care, and tools to engage patients and their families throughout the care process.
Levels 7–8: Organizations in levels 7 and 8 meet the criteria for being designated as Most Wired. These organizations have deployed technologies and strategies (e.g., population health/cost-of-care analytics, HIEs/integration engines, and patient portals) to help them analyze their data and are starting to achieve meaningful clinical and efficiency outcomes. Some of these organizations are experimenting with more advanced technologies, like telehealth, that expand access to care.
Levels 4–6: Organizations in levels 4–6 have made progress in expanding their core IT infrastructure to support internal strategic initiatives. Often, they have implemented basic technologies to protect patients’ health and financial information (e.g., firewalls, spam/phishing filters, endpoint encryption), but they may lack more advanced technologies that would mediate other vulnerabilities. Many are actively collecting patient data electronically; however, they may not effectively leverage the data they collect and may encounter significant barriers in exchanging patient data with external organizations.
Levels 1–3: Organizations in levels 1–3 are in the early stages of developing their technology infrastructure and may still be transitioning, or may have more recently transitioned, to electronic formats for collecting patient data and performing clinical activities. Some may have deployed technologies that capture data (e.g., EMRs, ERP solutions, revenue cycle management solutions) but may not fully leverage the functionality these technologies offer. Additionally, these organizations may still be working to help end users adopt the technologies that have been implemented.
2020 Most Wired Survey
The Most Wired program is extending the survey deadline to ensure organizations have ample time to participate once the COVID-19 pandemic is contained. The pdf versions of the surveys (Acute, Ambulatory and – new this year – Long Term Care) are available now. The online survey will open on April 15; the close date will be determined later. Check back for updates here or reach out to [email protected]
2019 Most Wired Sponsorships
Key to Most Wired Package – $25,000*
• Sponsor’s logo on CHIME “Healthcare’s Most Wired” webpage
• Sponsor’s logo represented on CHIME booth and other
signage recognizing sponsors of program
• Social Media recognition (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
• Use of CHIME “Healthcare’s Most Wired” logo, subject to
• CHIME CIO Forum Recognition, main stage (walk-in slides)
• Sponsor’s logo on survey promotional email(s)
• Recognition in onsite-guide • Confirmed Most Wired registration list
• One Segment Category Data
• Pre-release Executive summary of survey results (overall trends and benchmarking for the industry)*Must be purchased prior to the Essential or Enhanced packages
Co-Branding CIO Forum Engagement Essential Package: PICK 2 – $15,000 additional
Purchase the Key to Most Wired Package and then two benefits from MOST WIRED BRANDING and two from CIO FORUM ENGAGEMENT (4 TOTAL)
Enhanced Package: PICK 4 – $30,000 additional
Purchase the Key to Most Wired Package and then FOUR benefits from MOST WIRED BRANDING and FOUR from CIO FORUM ENGAGEMENT (8 TOTAL)
• Sponsor’s logo included in one (1) CHIME Most Wired Modern Healthcare Ad
• Sponsor’s logo to appear in one (1) CHIME newsletter article
• Foundation Firm’s logo on Most Wired certificate
• Sponsor’s logo on survey website
• Sponsor’s Logo on survey benchmark reports for participant organizations.
• Sponsor’s Logo on email and other communications to winner
• Sponsor’s logo included in one (1) CHIME Most Wired Modern Healthcare Ad
• Attend Breakfast/lunch for Most Wired award recipients and sponsors at Fall CIO Forum (2 seats)
• Most Wired photo opportunities
• Attend Fall CIO Forum Most Wired Award Recipients reception (2 seats)
• Sponsor’s logo in one (1) recipient announcement press release distributed after Fall Forum
• Quote from Sponsor and sponsor’s logo to appear in one (1) CHIME newsletter article after Fall Forum
• Additional Fall CIO Forum registration
• Sponsor’s recognition at Most Wired awards ceremony
Purchase the Key to Most Wired and then add any A-LA-Cart options
Branding and Advertising:
• Sponsors Ad included in Modern Healthcare Most Wired Supplement
• Full Page, 4-color: $15,225 (15% discount provided to Foundation members – $12,941.25)
• Half Page, 4-color: $9,765 (15% discount provided to Foundation members – $8,300.25)
Most Wired Survey Data:
• Most Wired Full Data License**
• Segmented data *- Administrative Supply Chain, Analytics & Data Management, Business Continuity
and Disaster Recovery, Clinical Quality and Safety, General Info and Organizational, Infrastructure,
Interoperability, Patient Engagement, Security
• Opportunity to co-present an award at the Most Wired award ceremony (limited 4, 1 per category) – $40,000
• Co-hosted Most Wired reception at a CHIME in-person program – $20,000
• Participate in Executive Roundtable with select Most Wired recipients (to include editorial piece afterwards)
(2 available) – $25,000
• Most Wired exclusive survey data results briefing presented by KLAS and Most Wired Governing Board Member
– Online briefing (2 available) – $15,000
– In-person briefing (2 available) – $30,000
** Ask for Pricing
Email Jessica Hadley or call 734.665.0000 to secure your spot!
The goal of the CHIME HealthCare’s Most Wired survey is to improve patient safety and outcomes by driving change in the healthcare IT industry. The program recognizes healthcare organizations that use innovative and disruptive technologies to advance health and care. Each year, survey results will be analyzed and made publicly available to identify trends and share best practices that will transform health and care on a national and global scale.
Most Wired FAQ
1. How do I receive a pass code or user ID?
Send an e-mail to [email protected] with your organization’s name, city and state, Country. Many hospitals have the same name; please do not forget to include city and state.
2. Can I save the survey and finish it later?
Yes. The survey will automatically save your progress. In addition, multiple people may access your survey by using the same user ID and pass code.
3. Is there a way to get a copy of the full survey so I can determine if we want to participate or to research the questions before inputting the answers online?
A PDF of the complete survey will be made available in March 2020.
4. Some questions require a screenshot. Where should I send the screenshot?
Screenshots should be e-mailed to [email protected].
5. I am filling out the survey for more than one hospital. How do I answer?
If you are filling out the survey for more than one hospital, your answers must reflect the AVERAGE OF ALL HOSPITALS represented.
For what percentage of pharmaceutical supplies is an electronic order generated when they reach a predetermined par level with appropriate internal controls?
If you are answering the survey for 10 hospitals and 3 of the 10 hospitals order 100% of supplies electronically and the other seven order 0% electronically, you should check the 21-40% box since 30% is the weighted average across the entire system.
6. Can we put the entire hospital campus (3 hospitals) on one survey? Or would you prefer if we filled out a survey for each hospital?
That is a decision for the organization to make. You are able to submit the survey both ways. It may depend on how you would like to be represented, if you prefer to have the health system represented as a whole or if you’d like each individual hospital to receive separate feedback.
7. Are all questions scored?
No. Questions under the categories of “Organizational Information” and “General Information” are used for identification and benchmarking purposes only which will not affect Most Wired status.
8. Should outsourcing or application service provider models be included?
9. Should depreciation and IT expenses in other departments be included in IT operating expense?
Yes, these expenses are important to include for total operating costs.
10. What should be included in IT capital?
We usually include the costs for acquisition, licensing and implementation for infrastructure (hardware, storage, network, data center) and software, as allowed by what can be capitalized per GAAP. As an example, we would include the cost of the PACS application, hardware, etc. But we would not include the digital acquisition devices that we added or swapped out over time. IT capital expense includes IT related capital included in the budget of other departments (e.g., lab, radiology, etc.), if known or can be reasonably estimated. Include the total value of capital leases to be signed in the current year.
11. Our organization is planning to have this technology in place later this year. Can I go ahead and answer the question as if we already had it in place?
All technology should be in place by 3/31/2020.
12. When will I know if my organization is recognized?
We will send e-mail notifications by September 1st to all participants to let them know if they received a Most Wired designation or not, your organizations benchmark report will be included at that time as well.
In 2019, an improved system was introduced that allows participating organizations to better benchmark their level of adoption and outcomes achieved. These certification levels will help ensure that the Most Wired program continues to be a catalyst for technology adoption that improves patient outcomes and engagement. Every participating organization will be certified at a level that represents their respective achievements. Levels are based solely on an organizations raw score without consideration for how this score compares to the scores of other participants.
Healthcare’s Most Wired Articles
We are available to answer any questions you may have related to Most Wired, please email us at [email protected]