Membership in CHIME is targeted for those principally in charge of Information Systems/Services in the healthcare community. While those who qualify will generally be the CIO (the highest ranking executive responsible for information technology), those in charge of IS for major divisions and/or regions of large corporate or integrated delivery systems will also be considered for membership.
The healthcare community will include delivery systems, payer/insurance organizations, and other healthcare-related organizations. Because of the rapidly changing healthcare landscape, these criteria serve as primary guidelines, which may evolve as industry and IS strategies change.
- Health Services Delivery Organization(s)
- Hospital/Acute Care
- Medical Groups (e.g., PPOs, Group Practices)
- Long Term/Extended Care
- Home Health Care/Hospice/Long-term Care
- Public Health Care Agencies (providing direct care services)
- Healthcare Payer/Insurance Organizations
- Management Service Organizations & Other Healthcare IT Related Organizations
- Organizations related to healthcare IT but whose primary business does not include selling memberships, OR selling hardware, software or consulting services to healthcare CIOs.
- Qualified organizations normally provide or are otherwise linked to direct patient care. Such organizations may include: radiology groups, disease management companies, RHIOs, state or federal government agencies and state hospital associations.
- If an organization has multiple business units, 50%+ of the organization’s primary business must meet the above noted membership criteria. For example, if 25% of an organization is dedicated to physician staffing but the remaining 75% of an organization is dedicated to IT consulting, the CIO from such an organization would not be qualified.
- Highest ranking IS/IT/Innovation/Analytics/Digital Health Executive
- Regional, market area, or facility level IS/IT/Innovation/Analytics/Digital Health Executive
This person will normally be responsible for overall service delivery and budget
- Contract CIOs (either employed by a consulting or vendor firm, or are self-employed)
- If the IS function of a health services delivery organization or a payer organization is outsourced, and there is no CIO employed by the organization itself, then that outsourced CIO (who may be an employee of a consulting or vendor firm, or self-employed) is eligible for membership. In this case, the outsourced CIO must be working full time as the CIO at the specified healthcare or payer organization.
- If the applicant or renewing member is self-employed (usually as a consultant) and actively looking for a permanent CIO role, he or she may continue with his or her membership for one year. To qualify as a self-employed CIO, the member cannot be on contract with a consulting firm, or have a paid staff of consultants.
- All new and renewing CHIME members that are contract CIOs (either employed by a consulting or vendor firm, or who are self-employed) are required to review and sign the CHIME CIO Code of Conduct.
- IS executives who are not corporate CIOs but who have regional or facility-level CIOs reporting directly to them OR
- Corporate Senior IT Executives. Applicants who do not meet criteria 1-3 above may also be qualified to join. If the corporate Senior IT Executives are assessed to have a sufficient level of authority in their organization (using a point-based criteria), they are entitled to full membership in CHIME.
Generally reports to CEO, COO, CFO or CIO of the delivery system.
Scope of Responsibility
- Has overall IS responsibility. Additional duties may include telecommunications, medical records, management engineering, innovation, analytics etc.
- Leads the IS strategy for the organization, as evidenced by reporting relationship and committee involvement.
- Has a significant IS organization, including multiple business/clinical applications and complex technical and analytical environments.