As the nation is gripped with the opioid epidemic, CHIME has launched a new task force to address this epidemic that has caused over 42,000 opioid related drug overdoses in 2016. As an organization representing and bringing together our nation’s healthcare information technology leaders, we are in a position to make an immense impact on our fellow Americans’ lives by using technology to bend the curve of opioid addiction. As we continue to move forward with our new initiative, we look to work with both public entities and private organizations to end this crisis.
We appreciate the efforts put forward by both Congress and the administration thus far in both the forms of awareness and funding. The President’s FY 19’ budget asked for $10 billion in funding for the crisis in addition to the $6 billion appropriated by Congress in The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018. In addition to funding, there have been numerous Congressional Hearings regarding the crisis; ranging from leveraging technology to measuring the impact on families and children. The crisis is still labeled as a national health emergency and we look forward to a cooperative effort to solve this unspeakable madness.
CHIME Top Recommendations to Policymakers
- Leverage the use of technology, existing infrastructure and data to better inform care delivery in treating patients with opioid addiction.
Letters to the Administration
- CHIME Submits MIPS Improvement Activity Ideas around Opioids (Mar 2018)
- CHIME comments to Federal Communications Commission regarding The Rural Health Care Program (Feb 2018)
Congressional Letters & Testimony
- CHIME Letter to Congressional Leadership on Final Opioids Package (Sep 2018)
- CHIME signs onto second multi-stakeholder letter in support of amending 42 CFR Part 2 (Sep 2018)
- CHIME signs onto multi-stakeholder letter in support of amending 42 CFR Part 2 (Jun 2018)
- CHIME signs onto multi-stakeholder letter support electronic prescribing of controlled substances bill (Apr 2018)
- CHIME submits letter of support for HR 3545 – “Overdose Prevention and Patient Safety Act” (Apr 2018)
- CHIME submits statement to Senate HELP on opioids (Apr 2018)
- CHIME submits statement for the record to Energy & Commerce Health Subcommittee on opioids (Apr 2018)
- CHIME submits comments to House Committee on Ways & Means (Mar 2018)
- CHIME comments to The Senate Finance Committee’s request for policy recommendations around opioid use disorder (OUD) (Feb 2018)
- CHIME statement for the record: Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee hearing on “The Opioid Crisis: The Role of Technology and Data in Preventing and Treating Addiction “ (Feb 2018)
- Pew Charitable Trusts’ Interactive PDMP Map (Jan 2018)
- FAQs on Substance Abuse Confidentiality Regulations (May 2018)
CIO Cheat Sheets
- Federal Opioids Update (Sep 2018)
- Update and Funding Opportunities to Address Opioid Epidemic (Jun 2018)
- Status of Relevant Opioid Bills prior to ’18 Congressional Recess (Aug 2018)